Call a Referral Specialist Now! 802.863.3367

Types of Child Care

There are many options when considering the best child care for your child.  We have provided some basic knowledge on the different types of child care and the regulations that are associated with that option.

Registered & Licensed Homes

Registered Homes

Registered Family Child Care Homes are in-home child care businesses regulated by the State of Vermont. Child care services are provided in an individual person’s home. The person that is registered develops the program and is the primary teacher and caregiver. They are required to meet Vermont’s regulations for quality and safety for registered homes.

Click here for more information on the regulations of registered family care homes.

According to the State of Vermont Regulation, a registered family child care provider can care for:

  • up to 6 children under the age of 6 on a full-time basis, including up to 2 under the age of 2.
  • 4 school age children (for no more than 4 hours/day), in addition to their own children.

Licensed Homes

Licensed Homes are home-based programs that operate under regulations that are similar to those for licensed centers. The number of children they take depends on the square footage of space available to children in care. Usually, Licensed Homes take 12 children and have 2 child care providers. There are very few licensed child care homes.

Licensed Centers

Licensed Child Care Programs include full-day centers, part-day preschools, private kindergartens, and school-age programs. Licensed centers must meet Vermont’s regulations for quality and safety for licensed child care.

The following group sizes and ratios apply:

Age Child/Staff Ratio Maximum Group Size
6 Weeks – 24 Months 4:1 8
2 – 3 Years 5:1 10
3 – 5 Years 10:1 20
6 – 15 Years 13:1 none

Approved Relative Child Care Providers

Approved Relative Child Care (ARCC) Providers are close family members that choose to care for children from only 1 or 2 families. These providers are not required to be registered with the state but may choose to go through a simple authorization process to be eligible to receive payment from the state child care financial assistance program (for a qualifying child in their care). The provider must meet minimal Vermont health and safety standards and pass a records check. Relatives are defined as: An individual who provides child care services that is 18 years of age or older; AND is the grandparent, great grandparents, sibling (if sibling lives in a separate residence), aunt, or uncle of the qualifying child.

Specialized Child Care

For parents under stress, quality child care with specific supports can help strengthen their family and promote their child’s development. For more information on how Specialized Child Care Services can help your family, please view the Specialized Child Care Handbook.

For more information contact Sharon Halnon at 863-3367 x 141 or to send an e-mail, click here.